-- a place for Episcopalian Students and Alumni of the University to meet --

Monday, February 21, 2011

How could I have forgotten the dinosaurs?

This weekend I found myself looking through a special magazine that featured the best cartoons from The New Yorker for the 2010 year and found this lovely piece taken from, I think, the March 2010 issue.  It got me to thinking about how often we take for granted the world we live in, how we sometimes look at it too seriously, losing sight of what's really important.  Kanin's piece reminded me that, even though the Bible exists as God's word, not everything in it has to be true - least of all that geological time and divine time cannot co-exist. The more I thought about it, the more I saw the irony at work in this piece by Kanin: that we allow ourselves to view the world solely as either black or white, when really, it's more shades of yellow (I just wanted to avoid the cliche). 

I think Kanin's cartoon works on many levels, playing off of the stereotypes that we've constructed for the divine over the centuries.  God sits in a great big chair, on a cloud, and has a beard.  Not quite sure that that is an accurate representation of God.  Why is it that we place human restrictions on someone who should be indescribable?  Even as I wrote that statement, I used a human invention to describe God, confining such an ecstatic idea within a linguistic shell.  So what did I take from this cartoon?  Well, I think, perhaps, that it helped me see the divine as something that we can connect intimately with, but that we cannot fully describe.  And yes, I did avoid using the more grammatically correct who in that last sentence for just that reason; but I think this funny really just reminded me that our worlds don't need to be so divisive in how we seek to neatly categorize everything with which we come into contact.

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment